It seems most of my friends have slammed the door on 2016, so so soooooo ready to see it end. And I understand why. No matter which side of the aisle you claim, the election turned out to be a hot mess. And sorry 2016, but a year that snatched Professor Snape, Merle Haggard, and Mrs. Brady but gave us a triple dose of Donald Trump? Well, that’s harsh. ?
For those around my age, the loss of these particular folks hit particularly hard. We know exactly where we were when we saw Princess Leia in the original Star Wars movie (Blytheville, Ar—Malco Theater) or heard Prince sing about his little red corvette (Baylor University—oh those college years). These deaths strike a sensitive nerve because these artists occupied a part of our lives, our culture, our time. And many of them aren’t that much older than we are.
In fact as I sit here drinking my coffee, George Michael was younger than I (gulp-breathe-sigh).
Even with all the nastiness, 2016 was a fantastic year for me both personally and professionally. I checked off my numeral uno bucket list item! In case you have stumbled upon my blog for the first time, 2016 was the year I became a published author.
And yes, I’m still talking about it.
A few of my 2016 highlights…
(personal, professional, in no particular order)
- Seeing the Texas bluebonnets in full bloom. (My daughter broke her ankle—not good—but I spent a week with her in Austin—very good.)
- My visit to Apalachicola, Florida. Those oysters. The people I met. Super memorable.
- Seeing Hamilton on Broadway with my sister and niece. Fabulousness.
- Getting so many Amazon reviews. I never expected such feedback. Thank you readers! (why yes, you can still do a review…)
- Connecting with blog readers at book signings. I’m talking about you Beth W. and Anita S. and others.
- Our annual family lake trip.
- Seeing my college roommate (a few days ago).
- My high school reunion in Wilson. Go Colts! Simply put, there are no friends like old friends.
- Fredericksburg, Texas after Thanksgiving and some serious good eats at Vaudeville.
- Watching This is Us on NBC. Yes, I love this show so much that it made my highlight list. Go watch now so we can discuss please.
- Hemingway-Pfeiffer in November. This was a particularly great writing retreat with fabulous mentor, Andrea Hollander.
- I was on the THV11 Little Rock morning show and interviewed on My Journey of Faith radio.
- My sister visited for Halloween!
- I stood where Elvis stood. That was a hunka-hunka fun.
- Winning two gold medals for my book. Huzzah.
- Our daughter graduated from UT Law School and passed the Texas bar! #lawyeredup
- Seeing so many butterflies in my garden. ?
- John’s amazing meatloaf! Not kidding. I can give you testimonials if need be.
- Having the whole family together for Christmas.
- Being invited to so many book clubs where Gracie Lee was being discussed, AND the amazing fact that everyone created food from the book and decorated with Delta flair! #BlownAway
2016 Top Blog Posts (in case you missed them or want to revisit, share, etc.) because that’d be another highlight for me!
10. Persimmon Seed Predictions
9. Baylor Football
8. Book Launch Eve
7. Those Childhood Friends
6. Decorate with Farm Flair
5. The Purple Ribbon
4. 1000th Blog Post & Book Signing News
3. Dallas Sniper Attack
2. RIP Friend
1. I Toured American Greetings
[tweetthis]My top ten blog posts for 2016. What a mixed bag of fun, farm flair and real life! #HappyNewYear[/tweetthis]
In addition to all the goodness woven throughout my year, several of my friends just had babies, grandbabies, or they are expecting little ones in 2017. This sort of news always softens the losses, doesn’t it?
My children (who aren’t children) are thriving in their careers and lives. Yay. That does a mother good.
My mom and several family members had health scares earlier in the year but everyone seems okay now. Thank goodness!
I’ve learned lots of things about lots of things including and especially book marketing.
I’m excited for 2017 and looking forward to what the year brings. I do love a clean fresh slate. How about you?
Happy New Year and be safe tonight,
Grace Grits and Gardening
Farm. Food. Garden. Life.
⭐Coming next week (next year)—my One Little Word for 2017!⭐
[tweetthis]I’m recapping 2016! The year that snatched Princess Leia and Professor Snape & gave us Donald Trump. #HappyNewYear[/tweetthis]
Little Red Corvette, Prince