This is one of my new favorite quinoa recipes (adapted from Epicurious). If you happen to be one of those people who turns a nose up at quinoa or Greek yogurt or curry (I was that way forever), you may change your mind when you taste the flavor combination of this dish. I agree, plain quinoa doesn’t have much flavor, but that’s what makes it so versatile. Quinoa will highlight and enhance whatever herbs, veggies or fruit you toss with it. And this curried yogurt, ginger and mango combination is TASTEEEE!
Quinoa is considered a superfood. Yes, it seems the whole “superfood” thing has been talked to death, but the health benefits of quinoa are real:
- high in protein;
- low in calories;
- source of riboflavin (relief for migraine sufferers);
- gluten-free; and
- low glycemic index.
So let’s get to it.
- 1 1/2 cups dry quinoa
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt (I use Fage)
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large ripe mango (pitted and diced)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- Rinse and cook quinoa according to directions on package.
- In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, lime juice, curry, ginger, salt, pepper. Add vegetable oil and whisk until blended.
- Add quinoa, mango, jalapeño and mint into bowl with yogurt. Fold together. Store in refrigerator. Serve chilled, at room temperature or warm.
This quinoa recipe will serve 6-8. I like to make a big bowl and eat it every day for lunch. For variety, try a scoop with fresh arugula salad topped with homemade blueberry granola.
Grace Grits and Gardening
P.S. One last thing…Have you see the hilarious Bud Light commercial about quinoa? Seriously funny. I’ve included it below.
Hilarious Bud Light Commercial