Mercy. This mocha banana smoothie tastes like a mix between everyone’s favorite Wendy’s Frosty and Braum’s German chocolate ice cream. Know what I mean? This shushy chocolaty goodness with a hint of mocha and coconut will give you a late morning (or anytime) pick-me-up without all the sugar and empty calories.
Since the first of the year I’ve been on a green smoothie kick (thanks to my friend Kellee who blogs at Delta Moxie). Now that I’ve discovered the magical combination of coffee and frozen bananas, I’ve added this to my rotation.
Tomorrow morning, when you brew coffee, save half a cup for this recipe. You’ll think you splurged at Starbucks.
Mocha Banana Smoothie
- 1/2 cup cold black coffee
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk I use lactose free
- 1 frozen banana sliced
- 1 heaping Tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1/2 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon local honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 handfuls of ice
- Blend all ingredients. There may be unblended flaxseed in your smoothie—omit if you prefer. (I add flaxseed to most everything for the extra fiber.)
- This smoothie is not sugary sweet. Add your favorite sweetener, if desired.
- This makes 2 medium servings.
For more information on health benefits of smoothies (including weight loss) along with yummy recipes, click HERE.
Grace Grits and Gardening
Farm. Food. Garden. Life.