If you’re looking for a fancy-ish salad for Easter or any special gathering, try radicchio stuffed with goat cheese and walnuts. The combination of sweet and salty pairs well with most any protein. These radicchio salads can be eaten the traditional way (with knife and fork), or the naturally cupping radicchio leaves can be wrapped and eaten as a finger food or appetizer (i.e. lettuce wrap).
This recipe calls for both goat cheese and balsamic vinegar—two staples in my house. My favorite goat cheese comes from White River Creamery in Elkins, Arkansas. If you live in Northwest Arkansas, find it HERE.
Also, I highly recommend De Nigris 1889 balsamic vinegar. The 1889 in the label refers to the year Armando de Nigris founded the first vinegar works in Naples, Italy. The rich, flavorful vinegar will take your dish up a notch. Find De Nigris EVERYWHERE.
Radicchio stuffed with Goat Cheese and Walnuts
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons honey divided
- cooking spray
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 head of radicchio
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 1/2 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 2 navel oranges peeled and sectioned and cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions white and greens
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine walnuts and 1 tablespoon honey, spread on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes.
- Combine 1 tablespoon honey, vinegar, and orange juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook until reduced to approximately 3 tablespoons (about 5 minutes).
- Arrange radicchio leaves on a platter. Fill each with a few arugula leaves. Add a spoonful of orange pieces. Top each with 1 teaspoon of goat cheese and 1 teaspoon walnuts. Drizzle with vinegar mixture. Sprinkle with chopped onions and black pepper.
Grace Grits and Gardening
Farm. Food. Garden. Life.
[tweetthis]Radicchio stuffed with goat cheese & walnuts: perfect for #Easter! @WRCreamery @DeNigris1889 #springrecipe [/tweetthis]
White River Creamery – Elkins, Ar