Did I mention these Fancy Raspberry S’mores were made with marshmallow Peeps? Oh, yes. Leftover Easter Peeps. And of course, there’s a story, a foodie challenge of sorts. What could I do with the Peeps my sister-in-law sent home with me after Easter lunch?
Before I get to the recipe I created, first the backstory.
My sister-in-law made an incredible Easter lunch including salmon, wild rice, asparagus and all the trimmings included mystery flavored Peeps (just for fun y’all). Since Peeps introduced mystery flavored chicks and bunnies for Easter, we did our own taste-tasting and flavor-guessing, washing everything down with champagne. We guessed the bunny flavor correctly—green apple—but the chick was tricky considering it wasn’t a true flavor at all but fruit punch. Hmmm.)
I couldn’t let the leftovers go to waste, so I came up with a different sort of s’mores. The fancy sort. Something perfect for glamping with the girls or sitting around the backyard fire pit on a nice spring evening. Dessert for our weekly girlfriend supper.
I used Jules Destrooper Butter Crisps which are thin, perfect for fancy s’mores, and sold in the deli area of my regular grocery store (Harp’s). A few years ago, The Bald Gourmet did a review of these cookies. Even though no mention was made of Peeps, he said they are perfect served with fruit, goat cheese and honey, yogurt, pudding, or with your favorite hot beverage. I concur!
Look at that deliciously gooey melted peep. Of course, you could use a regular marshmallow.
- Butter Waffle Cookies
- 1 Hershey Chocolate Bar
- Fresh Raspberries
- Marshmallow Peeps (I used fruit punch chicks)
- Balsamic Vinegar (optional)
- Prep: Cut peeps into two pieces. Half raspberries. Break candy bar into sections. Depending upon size of cookies, you may need to break cookies into two pieces. These s'mores are small - two bites. A little goes a long way.
- Set oven to broil.
- Place one layer of cookies on cookie sheet. Top with one section of chocolate and one piece of marshmallow.
- Broil until melted. This takes no time! Keep a constant watch.
- Remove from broiler. Place two raspberry pieces on marshmallow. Top with cookie. Press.
- Drizzle with a smidgen of balsamic vinegar.
- If you are camping, melt marshmallows over open flame, the old fashioned way.
Decadent and rich. The raspberry makes it extra tasty. The waffle cookie is buttery and lighter than a graham cracker which sound oxymoronic but is true. Just a drizzle of balsamic vinegar cuts the sweet.
Grace Grits and Gardening
Farm. Food. Garden. Life.
[tweetthis]Fancy Raspberry S’mores made with leftover Easter #Peeps! Decadent #glamping #dessert. @PEEPSBrand @Hersheys[/tweetthis]
Musical Pairing (perfect glamping song):
Otis Redding, The Dock of the Bay
The Bald Gourmet says
Thanks for linking back to our Jules Destrooper review. I love your clever use of peeps in this delicious sounding s’mores recipe which is cute and fun!
Talya Tate Boerner says
Thank you! I’ve never been much of a s’mores fan, but with these cookies…oh my!!
Looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing a remake of the classic treat 🙂
Talya Tate Boerner says
Thank you Lauren! I think a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream would go great too!
Dorothy Johnson says
Beautiful presentation! Makes me want to buy some peeps and try it!
Barbara Tate says
How come I never knew about these?