What I know today? Five things in no particular order… 1) Brrr! We had our first hard freeze and the back yard is a frosted wonderland this morning. We brought our ferns and other potted flowers inside last night and now the inside of our house looks like a greenhouse. (And by we I mean John.) Continue Reading
Meanwhile in the garden, there’s lots to report. For the past two days, this guy’s been munching on milkweed. And speaking of milkweed, mine is still blooming like crazy. Like a weed, in fact:) My new favorite plant!Continue Reading
You might be a gardening geek if...
- when you find a Monarch chrysalis, you plaster the news over social media;
- you are convinced if there is one, there must be more so you crawl around on your knees in the mulch along the house and fence searching for other Monarch chrysalises—and you were right(!);
- you read everything you can about the process, all the way to the last page of the internet;
- you postpone travel plans because your Monarchs are likely to emerge during the time you would be gone;
- you photograph your chrysalises several times a day (more often than you photograph your dogs) to monitor changes even though there don’t appear to be any;
- you might even talk to them;
- on the morning that two of your chrysalises begin to show true signs of metamorphosis, you skip an all day writing class because what if they are born while you are gone?;
- you head straight to Westwood Gardens where you ignore the giant containers of fall mums in favor of more milkweed, your new favorite plant;
- when you return, TWO OF THE MONARCHS HAVE BEEN BORN!