P i c t u r e d: Delta Cotton
Cotton-picking time in the Delta is my favorite. This week when I haven’t been holed up working on my book edits (yay!), I’ve been driving from the bootheel of Missouri and along the Great River Road searching out magazine and blog post stories. The highways and byways of the Delta are roaring with trucks hauling soybeans and grain. The gins are ginning at capacity. I can often be found poking around in fields or parked on the side of the road taking pictures. So far, the farmers work around me. ? ??
A few Delta cotton pics. (The smoke in the first two pictures is from the adjacent soybean field—burning stalks after harvest.)
- John Deere picker, Mississippi County, Ar.
- Round bale, Mississippi County, Ar.
- Adams Cotton Gin, Leachville, Ar.
- Old cotton picking sack, Mississippi County Museum, Osceola, Ar.
- Momma, my sister and me.
- 1910 cotton picking basket, Mississippi County Museum, Osceola, Ar.
- Beautiful boll, Dunklin County, Mo.
Grace Grits and Gardening
Farm. Food. Garden. Life.
[tweetthis]In them old cotton fields back home… @ArFB @JohnDeere #farming #Delta #Arkansas[/tweetthis]
Creedence Clearwater Revival, Cotton Fields Back Home